OSO EASY Italian ice®
A Sweet Treat for Your Landscape
- Multiple award-winning landscape rose
- Orange buds open to lightly fragrant, soft yellow and pink blushed blossoms
- Self-cleaning, continuous blooms from early summer into fall
- Dark green, glossy foliage
- Highly disease resistant
- Thrives in 6-8 hours of sun per day
- 18-30” tall x 18-30” spread
- Hardy in USDA Zones 4-9
Always a crowd favorite, the sweet pinks, yellows and oranges of this landscape rose are like the ever-popular ‘Peace’ rose but on a strongly disease resistant, easy to grow plant. You will be amazed how, without ever needing to trim off the spent blossoms, this rose continually makes new flowers again and again right up until frost. Of course, it won’t hurt it a bit to snip a few for a fresh bouquet. Strong disease resistance means you’ll never need to spray to keep it healthy. This is truly a fabulous, low maintenance rose!
HOW TO GROW OSO EASY ITALIAN ICE® ROSA
This easy care rose defies conventional expectations of what a rose needs to flourish in your landscape. If your soil is naturally rich, that’s perfect. But this rose will also thrive in average soil, too. If you’re planting it in a container, use a high quality potting soil that allows water to drain easily.
Roses require full sun to grow and bloom, so choose a spot that receives a minimum of six hours of direct sun per day. If it receives full sun all day, that’s even better.
Oso Easy Italian Ice rose will need consistent watering, so choose a spot where the hose or sprinkler can reach. Roses are not drought tolerant plants.
When planting, dig the hole about twice as wide but just as deep as the container it is growing in. If the roots are densely circled around when you take the plant out of the pot, loosen them a bit to help break the “root memory”. This will encourage the roots to grow outward instead of continuing in the circular pattern.
Set the plant in the hole, making sure that the top of the rootball is level with the top of the surrounding soil. Then backfill the hole with the soil you dug out and press it down with your hand firmly to eliminate any big air pockets around the roots. Water it in to help the soil settle. Finally, spread some mulch around the plant, taking care to keep it a couple of inches away from the base. The mulch will help to retain the soil moisture and protect the roots during winter.
Not much pruning will be needed to keep your Oso Easy Italian Ice rose looking great. If you need to prune back the tips of the branches after winter, you can do so just as the new foliage begins to sprout in early spring. Be sure to make your cut just above a healthy bud since it will produce the most vigorous growth.
Trim all of the stems back by an even amount to maintain the shrub’s neatly rounded shape. No more than 30% of the length should need to be cut back.
When you prune your roses in spring, feed them with a granular rose food. This will help them start the new season off right with plenty of nutrients to support the new growth.
Oso Easy Italian Ice is a self-cleaning rose, meaning its spent flowers will naturally drop their petals. New flowers will form on the stems whether or not you remove the old blossoms, but you could choose to do so for sake of appearance.
- The full shape, vigorous growth and excellent disease resistance of Oso Easy Italian Ice rose makes it easy to grow along with other perennials and shrubs in flower borders. If you have a separate spot in your landscape where you tend to group all of your roses, Oso Easy Italian Ice will be a shining star among them. It can also be incorporated into foundation plantings.
- This rose grows well in containers, too. Choose a large pot that will provide ample space for its roots and make sure there is at least one drainage hole in the bottom. Use a good quality potting soil, water regularly, and feed every 4-6 weeks to encourage all-season bloom.
- Of course, roses are classic cut flowers. Since Oso Easy Italian Ice rose produces flowers continually all season, there will be plenty to clip and share with friends. Pick them when their buds are plump and just beginning to open to make your bouquet last longer.
“This is definitely my favorite rose bush! Not only is the color beautiful but the smell is incredible! It will fill up the immediate area with a wonderful scent! Easy to grow, too! I have 3 and just ordered another one!”
-Anita Sauer, North Carolina, United States
top 3 reasons to grow
Oso Easy Italian ice® Rose
A RAINBOW OF COLORS
There is just something about the elegant coloring of this rose that everyone loves. It’s like having all the colors of your favorite sherbet painted onto one blossom.
How could a rose this beautiful be so effortless? Disease resistant Oso Easy roses are as easy to grow as any other shrub in your landscape.
LOVES THE COLD AND THE HEAT
Whether you garden in chilly zone 4 or sweltering zone 9, this durable rose will perform in your garden.
Oso Easy Italian Ice® Rosa x ‘CHEWNICEBELL’ USPP26532 Can5131